- Put the potatoes in a large pan of salted, boiling water
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or until tender
- Drain and return to the pan to dry completely
- Add the butter and milk and mash until smooth and fluffy
- Add half the cheese and seasoning and mix thoroughly
- Heat the oil in a deep-frying pan
- Cut each sausage into bite-sized pieces
- Cook the onions until they begin to soften and then add the sausages
- Cook until browned all over
- Add the beans, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes
- Spoon the sausage mix into an ovenproof dish
- Spoon or pipe the mash on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese
If eating immediately, finish under a preheated grill until the top is golden.
If you have made your Cowboy Pie in advance, preheat the oven to 180C, fan 160C, Gas mark 4. Cook for 35-45 minutes, or until it is heated through, and the top is golden brown.