For the pickled beetroot
- Put all ingredients except the beetroot in a saucepan. Bring to boil, until the sugar has dissolved. Add diced beetroot and simmer until it is just starting to soften. Remove from the heat & carefully pour into sterilised jam jars. Seal the jars, cool and refrigerate.
- Wash salt mix off the salmon with water, & pat dry. Heat olive oil in a pan, cook salmon skin side down. When skin is crispy, roll fish onto its side and colour in hot oil. Roll salmon over & colour other sides. It should now be golden all over. If you like salmon medium rare, then remove pan from heat & rest for 2-3 min. If you like it a little more done, put fish in hot oven for 3-4 minutes, depending on how well done you like it.
- Warm the beetroot and some of the liquor from the jar in a pan. Bring to the boil and reduce until the liquor becomes a glaze. It will be thick and sticky.
- Blanch the broccoli for about 1 min (depending on thickness) in salty boiling water. The broccoli should be served with a slight crunch.
- Serve the salmon on a bed of broccoli, topped with some pickled beetroot and reduced liquor and a quenelle of horseradish cream.