Cook-up a basic Margherita pizza and then lay on extra toppings so the family can create their own favourite flavours.
For the pizza dough
- Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a big bowl.
- Mix the water and oil together, add most of the liquid and mix into a dough, adding more liquid if necessary.
- Tip onto a lightly flour dusted surface and knead for 10 minutes. This could also be done with a food mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Put the dough into a large mixing bowl, greased with some oil.
- Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel or cling film and leave to rise for one to one-and-a-half hours, until doubled in size.
For the tomato sauce
- Warm the olive oil in a large, deep frying pan.
- Add the onion and the dried oregano.
- Fry over a medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and chilli.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- If the sauce is too thick, just add boiling water to loosen the mix. Take off the heat until ready to use.
- Whilst your tomato sauce is cooking, prepare the other toppings
To assemble and cook
- Preheat your oven to 220°C/fan 200°C /gas 8.
- Flour two baking sheets, divide the dough into four pieces.
- Leave three pieces under the tea towel or cling film, to stop them drying out.
- Roll the first piece of dough to as thin as you can get it on a lightly floured surface.
- Lift carefully onto a floured baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Add the tomato sauce and mozzarella and invite the family to add any other toppings of their choice.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp and golden on top.