This delightful little dessert is wonderfully lemony and fresh in flavour. But don't be tempted to serve it in big glasses - it is richer than it looks. Little espresso cups or teacups are ideal.
For the posset
- Pour the double cream, sugar and lemon zest into a large pan. Bring to the boil slowly over a low heat. Boil for 3 minutes, then remove from the heat. Leave to cool slightly.
- Slowly pour the cooled cream mix into the lemon juice and whisk well. The mixture will thicken as you whisk. Pour the cream into small glasses or cups and leave to set in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
For the lavender shortbread
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C.
- Sift the icing sugar, flour and cornflour together into a bowl and add the ground almonds.
- Transfer the flour mixture to a food processor. Add the lavender seeds and butter and pulse until there are no visible lumps of butter left.
- Pulse again, then turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times, to form a smooth dough.
- Roll the dough and cut out with 5cm cutters, then bake the shortbreads for 8-12 minutes, until they are a light golden colour. Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with the lavender sugar.
- Serve the lemon possets with a shortbread biscuit each.