For the cakes
- Pre heat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C, 350°F gas 4. Line a 12 hole muffin tray with paper cases.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until well combined. Sift the plain and self-raising flour together and add the lemon zest. Fold into the mixture. The mixture should be of a dropping consistency. If it’s not quite there, add a little milk.
- Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- When cool, carefully slice off just the top of the cakes with a sharp knife. Cut the slice in two to form the ‘wings’ of the butterfly and set aside.
For the buttercream icing filling
- Beat the softened butter together with the sifted icing sugar and mix until combined.
Fill the space on the top of each cake with a small blob of buttercream icing and the lemon curd. Now gently push the butterfly ‘wings’ into the mixture.