For the meat sauce
- First, make the meat sauce. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onion, carrot and celery for five minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- Add the bacon and minced beef, pork and garlic. Cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring constantly until the meat is coloured all over. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour in the wine or stock, stir well and cook for five minutes until the alcohol has evaporated. Add the passata, tomato purée and oregano. Lower the heat and cook, uncovered, for one hour, stirring occasionally, until you get a beautiful rich sauce. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160°C/gas 4.