This is a hearty, wintery dish. It may take a while to cook but it's definitely worth the wait.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the pieces of lamb until well browned, then place in a large casserole.
- Fry the onions and carrots in the same fat for 2 minutes, then stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the wine and stock and bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Add the tomato purée, sugar, plenty of salt and pepper and the dill and pour into the casserole. Mix well with the lamb and level the top.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven for 90–120 minutes or until the lamb is tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.