A really classy burger, full of flavour and good things! With thanks to Madalene Bonvini-Hamell and Ross Pike, The British Larder, Bromeswell, Suffolk, for providing us with the recipe.
For the pork burgers
- Use a course hand grater to grate the onion, carrot, celery and gherkin.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients along with the salt and pepper. Mix well, either with your hands or if you have a mixer use the dough hook attachment to knead the mixture well.
- At this stage you can test a small amount of the mixture by frying it in a hot pan and then tasting it and adjusting the seasoning if necessary. Divide the mixture into 4 even weight patties (approximately 175g each). Shape the burgers by compressing each patty.
- You can use a pastry cutter to help with the shape if you like. Let the burgers rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Cook the burgers (5 – 6 minutes on each side) in a hot frying pan with a splash of oil.
- Serve the burger on a bun with a spoonful of the beetroot relish, slices of tomato and salad leaves. Garnish with homemade onion rings and chips of your choice.