Also known as Passion cake, carrot cake is best when served with a rich creamy frosting and walnut topping. It’s an indulgent treat that works well for any special occasion and pairs perfectly with a hot cup of tea.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C / fan oven 160⁰ C / Gas Mark 4
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Beat together the oil, sugar, eggs and vanilla essence and add in the chopped walnuts, grated carrots and desiccated coconut.
- Mix everything together into an oily mixture and stir well. Then sift the dry ingredients and fold them into the mixture.
- Pour everything into the cake tin and bake in the oven for approximately 50 minutes, until firm to the touch. You can test your cake by inserting a knife into the centre and checking it comes out clean.
- Leave your cake to cool for ten minutes then turn it out onto a rack to cool completely.
For the frosting
- Meanwhile, beat the butter until soft then mix in the cream cheese.
- Once smooth, add the vanilla essence and the icing sugar and beat together until smooth.
- Once the cake is completely cool, spread the icing over the top with a palette knife.
- Cut into 16 squares and decorate each with a walnut half.