It is worth marinating the chicken wings for as long as possible to allow the flavours to penetrate. Set them in a hinged metal rack for easy turning during cooking.
- In a food processor, blend the Szechuan pepper, garlic, ginger, orange zest, spring onions and chilli to a rough paste.
- Add the honey, soy and oils and whizz to a fairly smooth consistency. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well until evenly coated. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, preferably up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before cooking to bring the chicken to room temperature.
- Drain the chicken pieces from the marinade and cook on the barbecue grill for 7–8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked and lightly charred. They should be tender when tested with a skewer.